Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

"The Machine is (Changing) Us"... Is it really?

Neil Postman thought that we were "amusing ourselves" to death in 1980's. Well, I wonder what he would say if he saw people today. I believe that we are doing this and truth is being drowned in irrelevance. There is so such a drive to entertain ourselves that we don't even care about real news and events that happen around us.

The part about the word "whatever" was very interesting. I never considered my generation to be the narcissistic generation, but I can definitely see it. the internet doesn't exactly help to get rid of that either. on the internet we are very isolated. we can share our views on blogs and say things to others without any real consequence.

The part when one of Wesch's students was doing a YouTube video and she held the mirror up was a bit eye opening. I watch a lot of videos on YouTube and I truly feel like they are talking to me. I don't realize that they are actually talking to a camera and may feel like they are talking to themselves. they don't know who they are talking to, but we know who we are looking at. It's very anonymous because they will never be able to see who exactly is watching them. they can see comments, but not the person on the other side.

Overall, Micheal Wesch's talk was very eye opening. It has helped me see the internet in a whole new light and see things that i haven't really noticed before. the examples he used were very entertaining, but helped me get his message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment